North Central Rural Public Power District (North Central RPPD) was incorporated on May 10, 1945. The petition for creation approved by the State of Nebraska, included parts of Knox, Antelope, Pierce and Holt counties. After securing a Rural Electrification Administration loan, the first pole on the “A” Section contract, awarded to Murphy Bros. Construction Co., was set in December of 1947. In July of 1948, 58 miles of line was energized to serve 89 customers. As additional loans were secured many more miles of line were energized to serve customers requesting electrical service. In 1949, North Central RPPD purchased the electrical systems in Niobrara and Santee to begin serving customers in each community. By 1955, North Central RPPD was serving 2250 customers on 1244 miles of line with a total of eleven employees. Also in 1955, North Central RPPD purchased the electrical system from a private individual to begin serving the village residents of Verdigre.
April of 2000 brought about the realignment of seven Nebraska Public Power District (NPPD) retail communities to NCPPD: Bazile Mills, Brunswick, Center, Orchard, Page, Royal and Winnetoon. These are all now served with 20-year Professional Operations (PRO) Agreements since these communities retain ownership of their electric facilities.
Today, the District serves over 6,670 meters, through 126 miles of 69 kV and 34.5 kV transmission line and 1,635 miles of 7.2/13 kV distribution line, with 21 full-time employees and two part-time employees.